SailNet Community - View Single Post - Second Thoughts on the Ideal Cruising Boat
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004

Stede is on a distinguished road
Second Thoughts on the Ideal Cruising Boat

Jack,

Thanks for your comments.They are all valid points.I respect your views as someone that is "doing it." The largest boat I''ve ever sailed on was a 45 footer that I chartered out of Athens, years ago.I had to do a Med.moor with her in the small island harbor of Mykonos during an early Meltemi.I was lucky to get her to the quay.Handling a boat that size had been great up until then.However,It has never been my desire to own a boat that big for many reasons.Cost being one of them.

While reading the article in CW, I too wondered how many of the cruising couples are truly doing world voyages? Considering hull shape,of the few world cruisers I have talked with, all of them did have boats with full keels with attached rudders.Granted, I have only talked with a few,but the reasons they gave for having a full keel were the same as the reasons given in the 80''s."Better tracking, able to take a hard grounding,more protection for the rudder,volume,etc." I''ve looked at pictures of your boat...very nice! If I remember correctly, she is a Pearson 42 ft.Ketch.I don''t know the hull shape,but I imagine her to have a fin keel.If so, I would appreciate hearing your views on the pro''s and con''s of the fin keel.

Concerning sail configuration, fractional rigs do seem to be a good alternative. Sailing single-handed most of the time, handling large sails is a major concern for me. One concern I have with the fractional rigs I''ve considered is that they have cored hulls.I''m still undecided about whether I want a cored hull, but that''s just me.Of the older boats I''ve seen with solid hulls, the cutter plan seems to work well, while reducing sail handling size. It is indeed a trade-off though.The PHRF ratings are almost always lower on the cored hull boats.

As I complile as much information as I can before making a choice on my next boat, insight like yours and others is very valuable. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook