SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fair payment for sail repair?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Fair payment for sail repair?

Last season I managed to tear my genny right across the leech line and about six or seven feet across the sail, as you can see below:

I knew that my sailing club, the Baltimore Downtown Sailing Center, had an old machine and a volunteer group that did sail repairs for the club's boats, so I emailed the president and asked if they would have a look at my sail. I told him that I'd rather give the money to the DSC if they could fix it, and if they couldn't at least maybe they could tell me if it was worth taking to a "real" sail loft.

I dropped the sail off, and after a few days I got an email that they'd been able to make all the repairs, and reinforce a few weak spots they'd found as well. I asked what they'd like for a donation (I know nothing about sail repair expenses), and he said they'd spent 2 1/2 hours working on it and that sail lofts had charged them between $45 and $150 an hour.

That's not much guidance for a no-nothing , as that would mean anywhere from $112.50 to $375 for the repairs. I'm thinking that $200 seems a fair price, but I have no real idea. I know it's not the middle of the range, but does it seem like a fair price, good for both sides?

I'm not trying to be cheap, but I don't want to overpay, either. I figured you guys would have experience enough to tell if I'm in the right ballpark.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook