SailNet Community - View Single Post - MaxProp or Autoprop?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
Next time I am out in light airs I will try to turn the prop in line with the keel, and then perp to the keel, and see if it gets noticed. It should be a good experiment.
It will indeed. The difference was so noticeable in light airs on my fin keeler when I switched to a folder that it went a long way towards persuading me to go to a feathering prop on my full keeler...that and the positive experiences of my friends with equally "primitive" hull shapes!

On the fin keeler, I noticed that the boat would accelerate better in puffs, would continue to ghost in very light airs that used to see it stop, and that going from a 12 x 6 two blade fixed to a 11 x 8 two blade folder dropped my "dead slow" from 2.5 to 1.7 knots in calm air, giving me more options in docking and maneuvering. The only downside was the slight hesitancy as the blades deployed, which I solved by a brief "gunning" of the engine to get the prop spinning.