SailNet Community - View Single Post - da versus high tech
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004

sailon2win is on a distinguished road
da versus high tech

Hi Jeff, we talked on this forum a few years back when I first got the Farr. You were very helpful in my refit projects. We have raced with some success (2s, 3s, and a couple of bullets) but the light winds in combination with the short stick hurt us terribly, especially in the downwind. We got to the point where we would back off the shrouds to about 10lbs on the outside and 5 on the inside on anything less than a 5-7 knot night. That seemed to help alot in the upwind and while reaching. We also hook the jib halyard to the tack horn of the jib and whinch the mast forward on the run to create a little seperation between sails but I don''t think that works all that well. I bought an oversized Haarstick spinnaker for this season. It helped a little but trying to get wind into the sail on anything other than a hot angle is next to impossible. I thought about raising the spin. to the top of the mast but PHRF-LO calls it a modified boat if I do that and will spank me real hard. I just got the idea to put the boom on a track of some sort so I could move the main to the top of the cabin on the run. There does not seem to be any PHRF stuff about that but man that might prove to be a pain.
As far as the main goes I have a North Pentex but it needs a rest after 3 years at about 50 races a year. This year was real hard on it. The winds up here were high all summer--which the Farr likes alot but the sails and my wife do not.
All that said, I really love the boat. She responds real quick and you can tack her on a dime with little or no speed drop and, when the wind and waves are right she''ll pop up out of the water and far exceed her hull speed on the run. Just the thought of the sound of it keeps me going in the winter.
Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook