SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Big Freakin' Sails

593K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  smackdaddy 
#1 ·
Okay - this thread is for people that ACTUALLY LIKE Big Freakin' Sails (note for morons: the verb, not the noun). BFS simply means sailing that pushes limits - whatever those limits may be. And herein lies the rub...and the reason I need to explain a couple of things so people don't start foaming at the mouth right off the bat.

There has been a tremendous amount of hubbub over this "philosophy" in another thread - but that thread apparently "came with a lot of baggage" - to the point that the topic itself got lost in the fog of war. So, this is an attempt to start cleanly.

It must be understood that the love for the adventure and excitement of hard sailing is just as valid and robust in the newbie as it is in the big-sailing old salt. The gap between the two is experience and knowledge. And the goal here is not to fill that gap by quashing the spirit of adventure and excitement with a deluge of cynicism and technicality - but to help us all learn, if and when the time comes, how to better handle that moment when mother nature starts rising beyond our sailing abilities. Because if you keep sailing - it will happen, period. And as you'll see, it can get very frightening very quickly.

For an old salt, these limits will obviously be worlds beyond those of the typical newbie. That old salt will probably snicker at the point at which the newbie becomes terrified - understandably so. Yet, there will inevitably be an even more seasoned salt that will, in turn, snicker at the snickerer when he/she soils his/her own breeches in a blow. It's all subjective and un-ownable.

Therefore, the BFS factor of a newbie experiencing a hard heel and wayward helm for the very first time is just as exciting, important, and valuable (in BFS terms) as the old salt battling a 50 knot gale. It's just about the attitude with which the exploit is approached and remembered - and taken into account as they go back out for more. There are great stories and valuable lessons in both experiences - as well as great opportunities for good hearted slams on the brave posters (which is valuable as well). That's BFS.

So, to be clear this thread is JUST AS MUCH FOR THE SAILING NEWBIE (of which I am one) as it is for the old salt. It's a place to tell your story, listen to others', learn some lessons, and discuss the merits or detractions of Big Freakin' Sails.

The following inaugural BFS stories illustrate what this thread is all about. As I said, I'm a newbie - and you see my first BFS story below. You can then compare that with the other great BFS stories thereafter (sometimes edited to protect the innocent) which I think are great tales from great sailors; they cover the spectrum of "pushing the limits". Then, hopefully, you'll throw down some BFS of your own (either your own story, stories you admire, or stories that are just flat-out lies but with great BFS value - whatever).

Now, let's have some fun...shall we?

See less See more
#1,591 ·
How the hell did you do that? I just cracked it open for testing on Friday and haven't yet told anyone about it (apart from some people I asked to take a look at it during the design earlier this year). It took WAY longer to put together than I thought it would.

Anyway, I'll be advertising it here starting in a week or so. The whole idea for it came from talking to you mooks about big, adventure-filled sailing anyway. Should be fun.

#1,595 ·
How the hell did you do that? I just cracked it open for testing on Friday and haven't yet told anyone about it (apart from some people I asked to take a look at it during the design earlier this year).
I new you had a web site a couple of months ago. You posted a picture of your boat (I believe it was the one with the flacid sail :D ). The photo was linked to your web site.

After you were canned from AS it got me thinking. I did a Google search for big freakin sails.

BTW I like the web site and the Flash work.

You were wronged over at AS.

Good luck with your adventure.

Paul

#1,592 · (Edited)
Now - to more important matters. I was out yesterday for a pretty mellow sail (8-10) after climbing the mast - which was an interesting time in itself. Sun was just starting to set and we were headed back to the marina.

This is about the time that the big stinkpots start heading in from Hippy Hollow (the buck naked "beach") after a day of drinking and nakeding. I'm on a port tack moving at about 4 knots as the wind was dying down. Both sails are flying.

A 40' Sea Ray is cutting a straight line up the channel at about 10 knots - as I'm moving across on my tack. About 200 yards out he hits is horn. Cool, I see you.

Now, if all things hold, we are on a collision course. I fall off a bit to try to clear his path sooner. He keeps coming. 80 yards - and he's still closing - not changing course at all. He hits his horn again - longer this time. Still on a collision course.

I pull my horn out an blast him one. No change in direction. So, it's chicken. Part of me wants to play - the other part of me thinks about Bubb's story.

I tack 180 and get out of his way. He never blinks an eye.

I don't know whether to hate him or admire him.

#1,594 · (Edited)
You did the right thing - Keep out of his way - and remember him.
We get the stinkboats doing the same. Narrow and shallow channels and they sit at half plane (huge wash) in the middle of the channel, expecting all to move out of their way.

I stuck to my course once. I was negotiating a tidal race in the whitsundays- deep water but I had to be on the exact perfect line. A yacht was behind us and a huge 100' 3 story game boat type ********* came up behind, blew his horn. The yacht behind us jumped about and the race flicked it around. The ********* came up behind me and blew his horn. I was committed to the course and any deviation could put me near rocks. I stayed, he blew off again with 3 blasts. I had the handheld VHF and asked him his intentions and added (smartass me!)that if he wished to alter course astern, he may!

He replied that he just wished to let me know that he was there. I was fully aware of his presence. After we passed the scarier ssection, he passed us. His decky's on the stern gave me the thumbs up

I figure that a jerks is a jerk whether he has money or not. These people often get into trouble because of their attitude.

Any and every other time, I dont push the issue and get out of their way. COLREGS - avoid incidents!

#1,596 ·
Boats not respecting right of way

Call me old fashioned, but I think we have an obligation to report boats that deliberately ignore the right of way rules. I can't imagine that the harbor patrol or coast guard wouldn't be interested in knowing about these incidents. By reporting them now, you may save someone's life down the road.

#1,598 ·
Call me old fashioned, but I think we have an obligation to report boats that deliberately ignore the right of way rules. I can't imagine that the harbor patrol or coast guard wouldn't be interested in knowing about these incidents. By reporting them now, you may save someone's life down the road.
In general I agree with you. But there are 3 big blue and white SR's on our lake that all look the same. And I was too lazy to look at reg numbers.

I'll just hunt him down at Hippy Hollow and pour sugar in his tank. Way more fun.

#1,599 ·
It's hard to think of these things when the issue suddenly arises. It is a lot easier if we all think ahead of time what we should do when we deal with jerks like that. The more we start to report these people, the less likely it is that they will continue to do these things. No comment about the sugar.

#1,605 · (Edited)
Okay CP. Hope you feel better soon.

As for reporting the boat - it's like twins says above, I was busy (though I do agree with his point). I joke about it now because even though the guy was being a jerk, I didn't feel like there was any real danger if I didn't allow things to escalate.

Hmmm....there's a thought.

#1,606 ·
Cardiac,

I think that is a bit harsh. Each of us has our own experience, and hopefully we all learn from one another. Smack already agreed that the right course of action would be to call the authorities - and I would guess he would do it next time. Just one more example of each of us learning something. I do think we can all be civilized with one another, and if you want to block someone because you don't like what they have to say - just do it privately. For me, I enjoy corresponding with people who have more experience and those with less. Sort of like what I experience out on the water. Anyway, happy thanksgiving to all!

#1,608 ·
Smack,

My sailing instructor many years ago on Sydney Harbour taught me an important right of way rule, "assume everyone else on the water is a complete ass and you will never have a colliison".

Now I'm not going to get into the right and wrong of not reporting other than to say that on Sydney harbour If I called the 'authorities' everytime I witnessed a breach of maritime law I would have the guys on permanent speed dial.

This post has been deleted
#1,609 ·
That is as you say CP, unfortunately a really sad ending to a young dreamer's grand adventure.

Now I actually don't give a hoot about this thread or Smack's BFS shirts, what I want to know is what did these guys do wrong???? I want my own adventure but without the coast-guard chopper. What do I need to do differently to have a successful, safe BFS??

#1,610 ·
Fair enough. That too me would yeah seem fairly dumb.

Now I think I have that bit covered.
I have wanted to circumnavigate since 22. I am now 30 and wish only to cruise to Asia and back. I would never think of leaving in Aussie Cyclone season. I have seen what 90 knots does to boats and it is nothing good.

#1,611 ·
Well, all I can say is that wasn't a BFS - that was an SAR. There's a big difference in my opinion.

I think many people still miss what BFS is all about. It's about the adventurous side of sailing. It's about the excitement of it. It's about pushing your individual limits and getting better and better. All of that is REALLY fun.

Furthermore, it's seriously tongue in cheek. Some people think that stories like these are "bragging". Well, for some, that might be so. But for most, it's excitedly telling your story of how you accomplished something great, whether it's a first time heel under full sail, or a successful ride-out of a bigger storm than you've ever faced before. Both of those stories are filled with adventure, excitement...and, most importantly, education.

Yes, some get too caught up in the adventure/excitement side of sailing and end up needing to use the EPIRB because they didn't pay enough attention to the educational side of sailing. Just as on the other end of the spectrum, some get too caught up in the educational side of sailing to the point that they refuse to ever leave the dock because they're too afraid to screw up. It's a debate that has gone on for a very long time.

But at the end of the day, BFS is meant to be nothing more than fun. It's the fun that pulled every single one of us to this sport in the first place. And we're all here trying to learn more about how to do it well.

#1,612 ·
Well, all I can say is that wasn't a BFS - that was an SAR. There's a big difference in my opinion.

I think many people still miss what BFS is all about. It's about the adventurous side of sailing. It's about the excitement of it. It's about pushing your individual limits and getting better and better. All of that is REALLY fun.

Furthermore, it's seriously tongue in cheek. Some people think that stories like these are "bragging". Well, for some, that might be so. But for most, it's excitedly telling your story of how you accomplished something great, whether it's a first time heel under full sail, or a successful ride-out of a bigger storm than you've ever faced before. Both of those stories are filled with adventure, excitement...and, most importantly, education.

Yes, some get too caught up in the adventure/excitement side of sailing and end up needing to use the EPIRB because they didn't pay enough attention to the educational side of sailing. Just as on the other end of the spectrum, some get too caught up in the educational side of sailing to the point that they refuse to ever leave the dock because they're too afraid to screw up. It's a debate that has gone on for a very long time.

But at the end of the day, BFS is meant to be nothing more than fun. It's the fun that pulled every single one of us to this sport in the first place. And we're all here trying to learn more about how to do it well.
OK, Smacker, with your philosophy in mind... My better half has decided to visit Lord Howe for a few weeks in 2 months time. I have a huge list of boat jobs needed before I feel ready to take that trip. It is one of my demons I have to get over so I am probably dragging my heels a bit. So will that trip constitute a BFS or do we need an added scare factor?

#1,614 · (Edited)
Ok for all the non Aussie's here This Lord Howe island BFS is serious.
We are talking a fairly remote island, 3-4 days sail at minimum from mainland Australia across a fairly treacherous bit of water known as the Tasman sea.

The british navy when last in this region hit infamous Wolfe rock. So named after the 'HMS Wolfe' the previous birtish navy ship to hit it.....:)
Oh the lagoon is barely tenable in rough weather.....but this is really one real pretty island for St Anna when he gets there :)

This post has been deleted
#1,616 ·
I'm not speaking as an expert...never have. In fact, I've always been very upfront about my lack of experience.

Like I said, preparation is a good thing. Seems that's a universal truth when it comes to sailing. What do you see in St's post that, from an expert's POV, tells you he is or is not doing it right?

#1,618 ·
CP, you clearly have a serious dislike for Smacky, but since this is an internet forum he(like anyone else) gets to say his piece. And it's unlikely that anyone who spends much time reading here will mistake him for an experienced sailing authority, thus it seems equally unlikely that his advice will kill ANYBODY. He has also regularly(like he said) claimed not to be an authority. If you just can't stand it, you should probably follow through on your promise to put him back on 'ignore'.

#1,619 ·
I think he's looking for a bit of adrenaline rush, not so much a scare factor. More of the rail hard in the water thing while sailing in a Gale in protected waters. I've sailed in stuff up to Force 11 but in the Sound without the chance of wind waves on top of giant swells that 4,000 miles of fetch will bring ya. If offshore, I wouldn't be willing to go sailing in those conditions. What you might find acceptable changes when out of sight of land and out of range of rescue. You would NOT catch me sailing in Force 9+ conditions offshore on purpose. I enjoy spirited sailing but I don't have a death wish. If I get caught out in it, that's the chances ya take and if I get caught out, I can fall back on what I learned while doing that BFS sailing in the Sound.

#1,624 ·
Smack----- i enjoy reading the posts on this thread. some of them remind me of weather i have been in. it all helps with your sailing experience that you acquire over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.