SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring in Florida
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009
No Agenda

noagenda is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to noagenda Send a message via Yahoo to noagenda
I hate to start a new thread, especially as a 'newbie' here, but...
I'm currently anchored in the basin just S of the Lantana bridge... MM1031, and have been directed by the local police boat to go ashore and secure a permit in order to stay any longer than the 18 hours he gave us.
This morning I went ashore, and walked the mile or so to the Police Station, where I was charged $50 for a permit to anchor here. The language of this permit is so ambiguous as to lend itself to myriad interpretations. The dates I filled in this document actually allow me to anchor here for a 96 hour period every 30 days for a year's time. At least that's how I filled out the dates. I now have a signed and dated document allowing me to do so.
I'm sure there are other people here who have been confronted with this dilemma. Do I stay here and pay the money, or do I just leave and avoid the confrontation certain to develop. Seems that most have opted for the latter, as the office people in the Police Station here couldn't remember when another boater had filed for the permit, and had trouble finding the form itself.
Based on the 2006 legislation, it is dubious as to whether their collecting such a fee has a legal basis anyway. I have to admit, I may have just fueled the fire by paying my money, but at least I can stay here for four days without fear of harrassment.
I would like to know if there is either a support group or some collective concious relative to this problem... We here on 'No Agenda' have been on 'extended cruise' for nearly a year, and likely will find ourselves in such a quandry again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook