SailNet Community - View Single Post - Endeavour 32 1980 - good or bad?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009

Endurance32 is on a distinguished road
Endeavour 32 is a great boat.

I would say buy the Endeavour. I have an Endeavour 32 and I would rate it as a very good boat. For it a heavy displacement cruiser its fairly fast as well. I do club races with mine and I can beat pearson 30's Irwin 32's and Cal 29 when the wind picks up over 12 knots.

As to Jeff H's comments I really don't know what he's talking about. The Endeavour 32 is a far superiour boat to the Irwin in every way. The deck hardware is Lewmar winches and Nico/Fico traveler (popular at that time). The cabin sole is solid teak. As to the ports, there Beckson and are on more boats from that era than any other port. Hatches are Atkins Hoyle which in my opinion my excellent bomb proof hatches.

I have done some major upgrades to mine over the past year. I've replaced the beckson ports with ABI Bronze ports, the lewmar 30 winches to Lewmar ST40's, the 2 blade prop was replaced by a Kiwi feathering 3 blade prop. The old sails are gone with new UK 135% Genoa and ASYM spinnaker and a Hood Vectron 2+2 main. I would really suggest Hood over UK when getting new sails. I beefed up the battery capacity from the factory 2 group 27 12 volts to 4 6 volt golf cart batteries for the house and a 12 volt for starting.

As to the sailing abilities of the boat. For a shoal draft (4'2") it will point fairly well, it stands up well in a blow and is very comfortable in heavy seas. I've been in 8-10 waves in Lake Michigan and never pounded unless I was underpower and heading straight into the wave. I personally don't know of any boat that isn't going to pound falling off a 10 foot Lake Michigan wave when hitting it head on.

As for the engine I would only buy a boat with either the Universial 27 hp or the Yanmar 3gm (22hp). This is a heavy boat and needs the power if you get caught offshore in a storm.

Either way I really like my Endeavour 32. For the money I don't think you can find a better boat. In my opinion it is far better than any Hunter, Catalina or Irwin from that period.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook