SailNet Community - View Single Post - Second Thoughts on the Ideal Cruising Boat
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2004

Stede is on a distinguished road
Second Thoughts on the Ideal Cruising Boat

Jack,

Thanks for your comments.I guess I was a little vague on the fractional rig/coring item.As I look around for a good blue water boat,part of the criteria I''ve set is for the boat to have a PHRF of ~150.It seems like most of the fractional rigs I''ve seen that share this rating,or lower, have cored hulls.To complicate my search, I''m limited to a boat in the $65K range, which means my selection will be an older boat.I''m not necessarily against having a cored hull, but I do have some concerns about them.Especially in older boats where previous owners possibly have installed thru-hulls improperly.Also, there are many types of coring that I''m unfamiliar with.The Dynacell you mentioned being one of them.Another boat I looked at on "Yachtworld" had something called an "Airex" core.What the heck is that?Anyway, if I find a boat that meets my other criteria, but has a cored hull, I won''t rule it out,but will do more research on what type coring it has so that I know what I''m buying.Also, I know a good surveyor should be able to identify problem areas in a cored deck/hull.

I believe your comments on the needed size of a vessel are right on target.That was an issue that was surprising to me concerning the CW article.Reading your comments on crossing the Atlantic caught my attention as well,and made me re-examine how much room I would really need for stores, and water tankage.

Your viewpoint concerning the cutter rig / full keel is well taken.I know I''ve read some previous posts here about how difficult it can be to tack them at times.In my price range, and for my needs though, I can''t rule them out.Reading your comments concerning a full keel are insightful as well. As mentioned previously, I do respect your opinion highly as someone whom "is doing it."

Thank you my friend. Fair winds to you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook