SailNet Community - View Single Post - Second Thoughts on the Ideal Cruising Boat
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Second Thoughts on the Ideal Cruising Boat

Hi Stede

I like the direction this discussion is going. As usual I enjoyed Jack''s take on the subject. I hear over and over again how this or that is the ideal type of boat to go cruising and yet I am constantly amazed at what people take cruising.

I somewhat agree with Jack that distance cruisers in the Atlantic seem to do quite well with comparatively modern designs and comparatively smaller boats. I am beginning to get the impression that for distance cruisers within the central regions of the Pacific there is a greater preference for larger, more robust boats than is popular in the Atlantic.

I don''t think that coring should, in and of itself, be a deal breaker. A well constructed cored hull boat should hold up as well as a well constructed non-cored hull. Pound for pound it is hard to build a non-cored hull with the strength and stiffness of a cored hull, but it can be approximated with a carefully engineered system of transverse and longitudinal framing. That is actually how my boat is constructed.

Airex is a PVC based expanded foam. The earliest. low density versions have not had a great service record but their higher density and later foams have done quite well.

I would think that with your budget you will probably want to stay below 40 feet (and perhaps below 38 feet) in order to find a reasonable quality boat in your price range. Although a little rare in the States, Farr 11.6''s (Farr 38''s) are a non-cored hull fractionally rigged cruiser that can be bought well within your budget and which have excellent offshore cruising records. Of course they do not represent what a lot of people''s ideas of what an offshore cruiser should look like.

Nice to see you back.
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook