SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying new boats in this economic environment?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009

yellowwducky is on a distinguished road
My thought is trigger pulling lets say April 2010. Budgeting 8-12 months for a build gives me time to flog stuff, cut leases, keep on with lessons and when its complete, be pretty much lined up for setting off early 2011.

Of course, plans are just that but at the moment, that is what we are thinking. My hunch is I would still be thinking new or near new - we would be looking for a cat so 15-20 year old boats fully depreciated just are not really even available as much of an option. That, and I doubt the SO wants to get involved with that kind of a project.

So far, not having been on any I hasten to add, the boats I think of as candidates so far would be things like Outremer 49, Catana 4?, Atlantic 42 or 48, Leopards and maybe a FP. None of these are 'major builders' or in the case of Atlantics would be a custom builder. If you put a gun to my head right now, I like the Outremer 49 as the best compromise given my current understanding. ymmv of course!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook