SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ascaird of my first Inboard
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009

mattstamour is on a distinguished road
Ascaird of my first Inboard

Greetings SailNet community,

Iíve been sailing around Fishers Island Sound (CT)/ Block Island Sound (RI) for the past 20 or more years. It amazes me how much I have to learn, but Iím happy to report no life threatening episodes in at least 15 years.

Started on a Cape Dory 25. Pretty, safe little boat. I got sick of watching everyone from behind so I got a Catalina 25 after the divorce. Fell in love with the Catalina, and a new woman named Carrie.

I sold the 25 yesterday.

Now Carrie and I are about to buy a Catalina 30, either a Ď76 with a rebuilt Atomic 4 or an Ď80 with a never used Universal 5411 recently installed by the PO. The 5411 was bought by the seller off a salvaged 1985 í27 involved in a highway transport accident. (sounds funny on the face, but I believe the whole story)

I have two concerns about the Universal I would love to hear any opinions about:

A: When the Universal was installed, due to its different size, he shimmed the shaft coupling about Ĺ an inch with SS washers. This allowed the propeller to have about that much space between the prop and the cutlass bearing as opposed to sitting up tight. Is that a viable solution?

B: This engine has 2 water cooling systems. A freshwater system AND a raw water system. I canít find anything anywhere describing that on the 5411. Has anyone else?

Thanks for the wonderful forum.

Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook