SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ascaird of my first Inboard
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-10-2009 Thread Starter
Ascaird of my first Inboard

Greetings SailNet community,

Iíve been sailing around Fishers Island Sound (CT)/ Block Island Sound (RI) for the past 20 or more years. It amazes me how much I have to learn, but Iím happy to report no life threatening episodes in at least 15 years.

Started on a Cape Dory 25. Pretty, safe little boat. I got sick of watching everyone from behind so I got a Catalina 25 after the divorce. Fell in love with the Catalina, and a new woman named Carrie.

I sold the 25 yesterday.

Now Carrie and I are about to buy a Catalina 30, either a Ď76 with a rebuilt Atomic 4 or an Ď80 with a never used Universal 5411 recently installed by the PO. The 5411 was bought by the seller off a salvaged 1985 í27 involved in a highway transport accident. (sounds funny on the face, but I believe the whole story)

I have two concerns about the Universal I would love to hear any opinions about:

A: When the Universal was installed, due to its different size, he shimmed the shaft coupling about Ĺ an inch with SS washers. This allowed the propeller to have about that much space between the prop and the cutlass bearing as opposed to sitting up tight. Is that a viable solution?

B: This engine has 2 water cooling systems. A freshwater system AND a raw water system. I canít find anything anywhere describing that on the 5411. Has anyone else?

Thanks for the wonderful forum.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome