SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Re-design question
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
...I think that this is referring to a bank and not the entire system. If so, I can use an AGM dual purpose for the starting battery. Anyone?
Well, we were discussing this the other day and Camaraderie reminded me that the optimum charging voltage for wet cells is actually a slight bit higher than for AGMs. But that was with a "smart" battery charger.

Are you talking about charging from a battery charger, or simply off an alternator, or both? Does the alternator have a "smart" regulator that is adjustable for battery types, or is it a simple stock alternator with a pre-set internal regulator? Do you know what voltage that regulator is set for?

Answers to those questions would be helpful. But my gut is that an AGM starting battery should be okay if it's getting the juice from an echo-charger. But there are some sealed lead-acid starting batteries that might work just as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook