SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring in Florida
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I hope it works for you.
Here in the Daytona,Fl. area (Specifically South Daytona) there seems to be a bit of drama being played out .there are a growing number of boats (sail as well as power) appearing at the local achoring spots (the numbes doubled in just the last year) I anchor here and sail as often as weather and time allow. I make an effort to "lurk" and "Stalk" the Halifax River area from land as well as the water on an almost daily schedule observing the transients as well as the local "extended Cruisers" anchored and anchoring often availing myself to assist in local general knowledge as well as the occasional lift to get fuel,provisions ,etc. for cruisers.
In the course of my encounters I have made a point to become familiar with most of the local Marine Patrol and FWC,sherriff,local police authority and observe the dealings and listen to the complaints and concerns of the landlubbers as well as the Boaters.
I try to keep all perspectives in , well .... perspective.
Although I have to say that the news, print as well as TV. seem to often portray the Boaters in a less than favorable light and offer no opportunity for rebuttal. Recently the S. Daytona Police chief attempted to wright a local ordinance restricting anchoring and it was almost comical , I like to think I played a small part in helping to STOP this ordinance by making the Maritime ATTY. Barbara Cook from Stuart aware of the proposed ordinance as she informed them it wasn't going to fly.
So, I continue to observe and objectively listen to both sides of the issue.
When I speak w/ law enforcement I ask what the problems are and often hear - waste disposal, derelict/unregistered vessel, anchor lighting ,noise, and eyesore view.
My feelings are ALL those issues are already regulated by existing laws and more restrictions are not needed. Just an implimentation of the current laws will address all of the issues raised.
I'm afraid the issue will continue to "fester" and,If broad reaching changes ARE made to florida anchoring allowing local ordinance and restrictions it will effectively force many to leave florida or leave boating, as the cost of a slip is beyond the financial means of many whom enjoy boating, sailing ,and anchoring responsibly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook