SailNet Community - View Single Post - Helms 25 Running Rigging Info
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
I'm usually hitting the foredeck hard and at a run,trying to fend off etc. you know failure to plan ahead....so if you're not a fat ass the deck may be all right (for now). Roberto did a foredeck job on his Helms 25 ODALISQUE a few years ago, removing inner layer above V-berth. I had some crappy phone pix of his repairs somewhere. Jamming wood wedge pieces up to hold from below as he relaminated. By doing that repair from inside he saved the gelcoat etc. on foredeck.
Howz your standing rigging? (forestay, split back stay and upper single and double lower shrouds) Look for broken wires (meathooks) kinks and corrosion signs around swages. If you determine ANY of your wire swages are to be replaced please try to use sintered copper swage NOT aluminum, eh. Just no future in alum in this application, regardless what Worst Marine says.

Once you open the sailbags and inspect the sails please let me know. Determine if they are original sails and if repairs are required. On the head sail, look where the spreaders wear on fabric. Get em' out, measure em' wash em' and learn how to fold em' for storage. I keep mine in 48qt igloo coolers, since igloos' won't really hold ice.
I'm like a terrified elephant around mice...fearing they want to chew into the sail for a winter snuggly, eating their way thru several layers, EEK!!
I will do some sail repairs for you free if we can determine what is required. I'm not really up for re-cuts and luff replacementsright now, just repairs. I have 1 recut waiting for Chimera already...
email me David@the-flex.com I have some parts left over from my many rebuild projects. interior wood trim, cable winch w/clutch for C/B, original stem fitting and misc. other.
just lemme no, eh?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook