SailNet Community - View Single Post - Helms 25 Running Rigging Info
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009

d3lphi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumaggafanny View Post
Roberto did a foredeck job on his Helms 25 ODALISQUE a few years ago, removing inner layer above V-berth. I had some crappy phone pix of his repairs somewhere. Jamming wood wedge pieces up to hold from below as he relaminated. By doing that repair from inside he saved the gelcoat etc. on foredeck.
That sounds pretty costly for a free boat. Might be worth getting an idea of whats involved though... Probably less costly than putting your foot through the deck though...

Quote:
Howz your standing rigging? (forestay, split back stay and upper single and double lower shrouds) Look for broken wires (meathooks) kinks and corrosion signs around swages. If you determine ANY of your wire swages are to be replaced please try to use sintered copper swage NOT aluminum, eh. Just no future in alum in this application, regardless what Worst Marine says.
The standing rigging is one of the bright spots on my boat. Everything looks pretty good, no meathooks, and no visible signs of leaks from below.

Quote:
Once you open the sailbags and inspect the sails please let me know. Determine if they are original sails and if repairs are required. On the head sail, look where the spreaders wear on fabric. Get em' out, measure em' wash em' and learn how to fold em' for storage.
The headsails are in original sailbags and look to be in pretty good shape. I have not measured them yet. The main is on the boom under a cover as it has been for at least the last 2 years. It is in need of some serious cleaning at the least.

The P/O said he hadn't even seen it in two years and it has just been bobbing away in its slip that whole time. The good news is that she is bone dry inside and doesn't appear to have any leaks from the bottom and only one minor one maybe from the topside.

Quote:
I will do some sail repairs for you free if we can determine what is required. I'm not really up for re-cuts and luff replacements right now, just repairs. I have 1 recut waiting for Chimera already... email me David@the-flex.com I have some parts left over from my many rebuild projects. interior wood trim, cable winch w/clutch for C/B, original stem fitting and misc. other.
just lemme no, eh?
wow thanks so much for the offer! I will have to take you up on that later if needed! I really appreciate it guys! I have already seen how great the boating community is!

JT
1973 #350
Lake Grapevine, TX
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook