SailNet Community - View Single Post - How much winterizing do I need?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
How much winterizing do I need?

Depending on the winter you can expect to have problems with your water lift muffler if you do not winterize it. I typically run antifreeze through the raw water side of the engine until I see it come out the exhaust. With experience I have learned that on my current boat''s 3GM30 that means roughly a gallon to a gallon and a half of water/antifreeze mixture. I have been using a biodegradable engine anti-freeze for the past few years rather than an automotive antifreeze, which technically should not be discharged into the Bay. Most winters you can sail almost every weekend if you are hardy enough. As I mentioned earlier I typically drain and add antifreeze to the water tanks and potable water supply system and flush antifreeze through the head and saltwater supply system.

To touch on the earlier comments, I typically do not tent my boat. We generally do not get enough snow to justify the nuisance of tenting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook