SailNet Community - View Single Post - Identification Lights & Nav Lights on Sailing Vessels
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009
Ventilation Guy

harryhoratio is on a distinguished road
Red over green - sailing machine.

For those that are concerned about being seen out there I sure would recommend having the combination installed. It is much better to do this than run your anchor and steaming lights along with your deck level bow and stern lights along with your tri-color because "you don't care what the lights mean - you just want to be seen"

Having done a couple of large long distance rallies with over 100 boats I am always amazed at what lights are being shown and when I chat about it with other sailors the most common response is the one I stated. "I just want to be seen"

Your lights should tell the story of who you are and what you are doing - ie sail or power, aground, underway, fishing etc. etc. Generating confusion with an unclear light configuration does not improve safety.

I do have a cone on board and have used it many a mile going north off the coast - engine engaged and main up and sheeted in as a "vertical dacron stabilizer" My fellow mariners then know that I am to be treated as a power driven vessel underway and not a sailing vessel.

This is a bit of a rant but it seems to me that running wrong light combinations reflects poorly on all of us and makes us look stupid to the professionals from whom we would seemingly like some respect.