SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter 37 Cutter, Any one have any experience on one?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009

Seazure is on a distinguished road
Sailing a 37' Hunter Cherubini Cutter

I have been cruising in a 37' Cherubini Hunter Cutter for more than 14 years. Although there are some 'Hunterisums' in the boat, it qualifies as a medium weight cruiser at 17,800lbs. The lower 177 PHRF rating has to do with it's massive sail area, with the 50' stick, she is a taller rig than most 45' boats and the staysail adds to to the sail area, making her point upwind well. Unlike many other Cutters, this one was DESIGNED to be a cutter rig, with the mast placed slightly more aft than usual. The separate shower stall and comforable cahrt table are stand out features. With plenty of power in a 3QM30 Yanmar, hull speed can be achieved under motor at about 2200 RMP, and with the 40 gallon tank gives her a motoring range of more than 350 miles. The Lewmar plastic ports aren't the best and I recommend removing the pretty teak rub rail from the cabin housing or reaffixing it with 5200 and removed the screws. They just serve to support dry rot. The ice box, as with many production boats should be modified, as insualtion is relatively nonexisitant. I have also reaffixed the bulkheads with 5200 to reduce creaking.

I have sailed more than 14K miles in this vessel and although it would make a fine offshore vessel, tankage is a bit limited. The only way there is room for a generator is to mount your propane system on the rail and use a low line diesel one lunger.

She is a very adequate vessel, not subscribing to the 'Clorox Bottle with a mast' description of Hunters and Catalinas from the mid 80's. At the waterline there is more than 1.5" of glass and the vessel is hand laid, not chopper gunned, at least through 1981 models.

John Cherubini was a famed boat designer and the teak interior really adds to the vessel's charm. I've kept pace with boats 7' longer and newer over long periods of time and averaged hull speed from Turtle Bay to Cabo San Lucas in 12kts of wind over a 5 day period.

Fair winds!
SV Seazure La Paz, BCS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook