SailNet Community - View Single Post - Venture 17 restoration
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoleDeRacer View Post
High how is it going awesome looking boat.

Anyway i am about to buy a v17 and it need to be refinished and all the hardwear has been taken off so i am not sure where it goes but it is all there.
I was wondering if you have some info/pics that would help me with where everything goes?
Also what did you refinish it with?
Thanks. Look at all my pictures on the largest size and you should be able to see where my stuff is mounted. I really don't know where the hardware was originally, as mine was such a wreck when I started. Where I have it works well for me though. If you need more pictures, let me know. I think I've got some that show where everything is. If not I can draw it out for you and email it to you.
As far as the finish ( if you mean the paint ) , you may think I'm crazy, but so far it has been an excellent choice. I used Valspar, Acrylic Latex.
I originally bought some very expensive boat paint ( the bottom blue is still painted with that). It was $69 per gallon. After only one year it was mildewed, and looked horrible. I started researching online. I found a great website that had a lot of useful info. He was saying how large the house paint market is and how much research goes into that type of paint. Also the adhesion properties of latex verses oil base are better. Here's the link -

Boat Repair Hindsight - Tips, Tricks, Rules of Thumb.

After much hesitation and fretting ( what if he's wrong, I'll have to do it over again ), I went for it. I looked for the best acrylic latex I could find. I can tell you. My boat looks as good today as it did a year ago. There are no signs at all of wear or mildew or anything. It has also held up very well to abrasion. I have hit the side of the dock pretty hard a couple of times with no damage to the paint. I'll never use the pricey stuff again.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook