SailNet Community - View Single Post - Health Insurance Question
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004

Stede is on a distinguished road
Health Insurance Question

pirateofcapeann,

Glad to hear you''ve had the opportunity to visit my neck of the woods. It''s like most places...there are some good things,and some not so good things about it.

So you are contemplating taking off to cruise too? I struggle with the issue everyday, if not every hour.Health insurance is indeed a "big ticket" item.

I read an article recently that discussed how high boat insurance is getting also.Several companies are placing more restrictions on where cruisers can travel. One skipper mentioned that to cross the Atlantic,not only must they have four people on board,but they must also be part of an orgainized rally! Apparently some companies are refusing to insure U.S.documented boats that are taken to the Carribean. To quote another cruiser,"Folks with $80K - $150K boats just aren''t insuring anymore, or they''re staying at home."

The article went on to explain some of the reasons why the rates are sky-rocketing, but basically it boils down to Wall Street investors don''t believe that insurance companies are good investments anymore.

Are any of you cruisers out there experiencing these types of problems, and can elaborate?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook