SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 20 in Vancouver, BC
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Very true about the border, though a Nexus card ($50, lasts five years) should solve that problem. While I've noticed that we do tend to pick weekend cruises to the San Juans, we're planning longer trips to Canada (like maybe two weeks in Desolation Sound!).

False Creek might have something and the atmosphere there is pretty awesome. It's a tangled web of slips with houseboats, fishing boats, yachts, you name it. We spent a week there last summer and really got to liking the "neighborhood" feel: folks would dinghy across the fairway to borrow tools, or a bit of sugar, or whatever.

However I'm a bit concerned about the level of security. You can walk up to any boat you like. I've gone to visit a friend's boat there a coupla times and nobody ever asked my business. Same friend has also mentioned that stuff -- like outboards -- gets stolen unfortunately often.

The big thing that struck me in comparing False Creek / English Bay to Point Roberts is the crowds. I thought I was used to lots of boats on the water after sailing up Puget Sound... in Everett there were five or six and I've seen as many as eight at a time in the waters just outside the Point Roberts marina. Imagine my surprise when we first motored up False Creek in July, and had to navigate around dragonboaters, scullers, layakers, SeaRays with bikini-clad babes all over them, water taxis, you name it. Hundreds of boats. Okay maybe you can count the babe-infested SeaRays as pro or con, but still, it was crowded. Also, with a 3hp outboard (we had a 4hp at the time) you're in everybody else's way. Also people don't seem to heed the "no wake" signs very well.

Anyway I know may sound a bit harsh in my view of this nautical Babylon, and I will probably visit there again, but it's very welcoming to come back to our home port where I have all the room in the world and everybody who works for the marina knows my face.