SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rozinante Project
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009

glassrozinante is on a distinguished road
Rozinante Project

Hello Everyone, I am in the process of gutting and rebuilding the interior of a 1966, fiberglass, Cheoy Lee built, Herreshoff Rozinante. I am attaching a picture to show the current condition down below. I would like to hear of any advice, tips or criticism of my plans. So far I have gutted and ground off 90% of the old paint and have knocked down some ugly fiberglass lumps. I plan to use a lot of wood to give the feel of a wooden boat. I am thinking of paneling the overhead with .25 inch beadboard that will be glued in place with epoxy puddy. I chose this option because of how uneven the glass surface is and that it would appear like planks running fore and aft. I will then run perpendicular beams to add support and again to appear like a wooden craft. The area where the windows are will be wood, possibly a veneer, which will also be epoxied in place. The rest of the ceiling area will be painted white with a one part polyurethane. We have a Sardine woodstove on order from the San Juan Islands that should be arriving in a couple months, which will be taken into consideration when designing the cabinets on the aft, starboard side of the cabin. A seat will fit into the aft, port side of the cabin that will be at a perfect angle to sit and smoke a pipe or look over charts. Most of our plans have been inspired by LFH himself right down to the cedar bucket / head, which we recently acquired. What recommendations do any of you have for materials for building the cabinets and seat framing, as well as the veneer for the window area (By the way, what is the proper term for that location?)? On the cabinets, I am thinking of marine plywood, possibly beadboard centers on the door and drawers and some sort of fancy wood for the trim work. I realize teak is desirable for the trim, but would like to use a more sustainably and locally (this continent) harvested wood. I also plan to build a sliding hatch cover. Please contact me with your ideas, etc. Much thanks. -Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00165.jpg (33.6 KB, 126 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook