SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Suggestions for DIY maintenance/repair books?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  SailChick20 
#1 ·
We're starting our renovation afloat, and we have what I think is an excellent printed resource: Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual, by Nigel Calder. Expensive but worth it.

I'm reasonably handy, and this one's full of good info. But I'm a big fan of documentation and references in general; can anyone suggest other good books on the subject, preferably from personal experience?

Cheers and thanks in advance!
Mike

#3 ·
I'd second the purchase of Casey's Complete Illustrated sailboat Maintenance Manual. You may acquire other resources, such as the Gougeon Brother's pamphlets on the use of epoxy, but Casey will give you the best overview of most of what you need. I'd wager that there's enough within to start anyone on doing they're own maintenance program. Well written for the do-it yourselfer.

#7 ·
My copy finally arrived..and I've been reading it like a novel.

Sway - You didn't warn me though, that this would cause me to want to do MORE projects than even those planned.

I'll 3rd this book recommendation!

#6 ·
While I use the calder book and others, I find invaluable the owners manual of each component. Most, but not all, manufacturers have pretty good detailed service and repair manuals for their gear. I needed to adjust the hz on my genset. Only the Westerbeake manual could tell me the specific way to adjust THAT genset. Granted, I learned about the need for proper hz from Calder, but didn't learn HOW to get it right.
Most manufacturers, but not all, post their manuals on-line. There are various sources out there for discontinued stuff too, you have to dig for it.
Once you find it, print it out. You may need the info when internet access isn't available, or the manufacturer might disapear for some reason. There are also third party manuals for some stuff like outboard motors.

make sure you have all your manuals on hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.