SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What is the age of your boat?

• 1-5 years

Votes: 49 4.4%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 35 3.2%
  • 11-15 years

Votes: 41 3.7%
  • 16-20 years

Votes: 69 6.3%
  • More than 20 years

Votes: 703 63.7%
  • More than 30 years

Votes: 205 18.6%
  • Too old to tell....

Votes: 5 0.5%

66K views 321 replies 265 participants last post by  Mysticwind1 
#1 ·

#132 ·
I don't like these categories- almost all boats are more than 20 years old, the question is how much older? Boats easily last over 100 years if well maintained, and they've been making boats for almost as long as people have been on earth! Having 20 years as the maximum category is crazy.

My boat is a 1974 (35 years old) Catalina 22. My dads boat is almost 80 years old!

#152 ·
Well, consider that fiberglass boats have been on the market for about 50 years, and that there were probably a lot more boats built in the late 1960's and early 1970's than have been built since the 1980's (due to the cost of oil, from which the plastic if glass-fiber-reinforced plastic comes from, and due to the luxury tax that killed the boat building industry, and other factors).

So one explanation for the poll results is that there are simply a lot more older boats out there than newer boats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.