SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson 323 - suitable bluewater cruiser??
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
Pearson 323 - suitable bluewater cruiser??

Mike, there''s been some other discussion on Pearson 323''s elsewhere on this Board; you probably would find it worthwhile.

Bill Shaw did not endorse the idea of this design family going well offshore. I''ve got a 424, a larger sister to your boat with the same design parameters, and I know of 2 which have circumnavigated. Despite this, I don''t think our boat is truly offshore capable. Having said that, we recently cruised to Trinidad from the Chesapeake and found 323''s all along our (island hopping) route. I''ve seen others in south Florida that came from San Franciso. The main difference is that, given the many sources of wx info these days, you are reasonably certain of the weather you accept when making 2-3 day passages, and all these transits can be broken down into those small chunks. That is not true once you head for Bermuda, e.g. - the voyage is just too long for any wx f''cast to be truly reliable.

I''d encourage you NOT to make your decision based on some design parameter methodology. This issue is not just is the *design* seaworthy, but is the boat built to be so. There''s a huge difference, as I''m sure you can appreciate.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook