SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Beneteau Battery Hold Downs

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Rockter 
#1 ·
I have batteries in nice boxes. They are strapped into the boxes. However, the boxes are NOT strapped down, but are loose within the battery area (battery bilge?).

Do any Beneteau owners have their batteries better secured? Did you put bolts into the grid down there? How did you secure the straps to the boat? Pictures would be great if you have them.

#2 ·
If you buy Seafit or WM battery boxes, they come with two plastic pieces that can be screw down and a length of webbing that fits through these plastic piece. The battery box is then place over them and the webbing secures the box down.

#3 ·
I have same straps Ken mention, on my Bene, that holds 3x 180A bigblock batteries. In addition, I screwed the box into the botton grid, where it seats. That held really well during a 56 days passage from Charleston to South America.

#5 ·
So you screwed them down into the bottom of your hull? I have some worries that I'll weaken something or casue problems doing that.

What size screws did you use, and did you drill pilot holes first? And do you have any pictures?

#6 · (Edited)
Daniel,

Do you have any pictures? I'm very interested to see how the brand new Beneteaus have the batteries secured.

Regards

#8 ·
Great pictures Denis. And very short runs on those wires. (Not sure what the green tubes are, capacitors maybe?) Thanks for posting the picture.

#9 · (Edited)
In fact this is not my boat but a freind's. My oceanis 43,Hibernia hull n° 77, is in the process of having an electrical upgrade : Mastervolt regulated 90A alternator, charger inverter 100/2500W and slimline AGM Mastervolt batteries with a new electronic battery monitor system also from mastervolt.. I agree that pictures show a poor electrical layout. The factory VDO panel is not great. Do you have the same problems montoring tanks and batteries ?

While the boat is out of the water I would like to fix preventively the rudder and autopilot problems seen on some B40 and B43. I don't know if the 46 and 49 have similar problems. I would apreciate any information on this subject.

I am installing an arch to hold the tender and a watermaker.

With all this gear we will be better off for our cruise in the Med.

Denis

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.