SailNet Community - View Single Post - Considering - San Diego from Seattle
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 02-15-2009 Thread Starter
Senior Member
artbyjody's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bellingham, PNW
Posts: 3,146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 13
Just thinking of options. Trying to make a go of the - re-invent yourself. I think coupled with the fact that mid-life crisis thing (turn 40 here in another week) - loss of major thing I have been doing for awhile (but knew it would come to end eventually - just thought it would my decision). So, it is kinda one of those moments where you start thinking of the options.

David - the moorage fees in SD are par with what I pay here in Seattle actually. And thanks - I'll miss ya too if that is where I go.

It is not a time based rush decision, things change as quickly as the changes that cause one to change... (tongue teaser there)...Just reality gets in the way of the fanciful life thing - and probably doesn't help that I am not sailing right now (week number two of umpteen on the rigging)...I was kinda surprised my response to someone that volunteered their boat to go sailing and my reply was "I just really want to sail mine - I need to know I am in control of something". Which somewhat describes why maybe many of us do sail - as it is certainly not a hobby of definitive instant gratification (ie: usually small on space, victim of tides and currents, and certainly not a point A to point B - NOW kinda thing)...

So, I am just looking into it as I figure in three months if the tides do not change - I'll have to grapple the reality that life often is. Luckily - between the boat and the Airstream - I have options as they are paid for (as well as everything else that will never fit between the both of them)... I think as part of the mid-life crisis and grappling with the un-easiness I feel currently - maybe the change of pace is needed and the fact that if I just do - then things will be different because they are forced to.

Bolter: Shelter Island - access in and out of the cove to the Pacific is governed by bridges yes? I am doing the research of areas and with a mast height of 52' - that is a consideration...

At any rate (and thanks Faster btw)... time will tell - just mulling things and doing the required research. When I lived in San Diego I was military and always loved the culture, access to beaches, mountains, deserts, etc... but I never boated there. Done the RV thing a few times but they were always usually at Pismo (sp) or Newport Beach... Can't really sell the RV as I want back-up number two in case something ever happens to the boat... Realistically thinking - its kinda mobile real estate that at any time I can get my money back out of (which is why I own the Airstream to begin with)...

At any rate - considering things, there are maybe some options here in Seattle that'll keep me here - but as with all things you do when you do the re-invent - "It takes time" and not quite sure time will be as friendly as it has been in the past...

-- Jody

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

artbyjody is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome