SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starting a charter in Greece
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2004

sailmaster25 is on a distinguished road
Starting a charter in Greece

Gavin
the best of luck in your venture, I have a slight advantage in that I was born here and speak fluent greek, I charter a 57 foot yacht with 3 cabins and offer a 5 star style charter that includes everything exspect airline tickets. My cleint base is varied but mostly americans,Brits,Australians,Kiwi''s and some Northern Europeans, although they prefer the bare boat scence as a whole. I run one yacht my self and half 50% share in another also doing the same thing. It is a full time job filling the yachts with charters as people today shop for price, unfortunately that seems to be the most important criteria, its only when they get here and find service lacking do they start to moan... as they say you get what you pay for.....coming to greece and seeing the whole operation will be a good idea, but bare in mind there are alot of companies doing the same and greeks do like to copy things quickly,.... case in point I have been trying to get away from the word skippered charter, it implies a bareboat with captain, so we offer Captained guided cruises, you know what... so do most all the other greek charter companies now!!! only its still a bareboat with greek captain, so one tries to break the stereo type, only to have it used and twisted back to the orginal formula.... oh well...
Any way good luck, its a tough business and very very cut throat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook