SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric drive owners need some advice
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009

southernwind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to southernwind
I wasnt refering to that kit is piticular it only goes up to 48v and I think that voltage would draw way to many amps. My goal for the instal is 144v something that kit is unable to reach. I have also talked with people that have had bad reactions, and I also understand that from furthur talking, that these are people who are almost dissapointed that they cant water ski behind the electric. i have even been on one that performed very similar to what a small outboard would do only without the noise, this is what got me to thinking. I just wasnt intrested enough in the concept at the time to investigate furthur when I had the chance.

let me be clear the thunderstruck system is too small as advertised, I believe. this is the actual motor that I am thinking about using here Cloud Electric Again like I said the thunderstruck setup cant handle 144 volts.

i used to have a 5 hp outboard on a 30 foot columbia i know it dont take a lot of HP to move a boat, it worked well enough. At 5 hp you are burning 3750 watts and at 144v its in the 26 ahr range. There isnt ANYBODY that runs a diesel at wide open all the time, to try and say you will be running a electric setup in this manner is unfair and misguiding. It is true at 5 hp when I was going in and out of the harbor I ran it at wide open but it proved that 5 hp was about all I needed. Granted I wasnt going to try to plow my way out aginst a strong headwind into rough seas with just 5 hp, but then I dont know many people that do with any engine or motor in bad conditions. Most sailors wait for a little better conditions to get underway. The 17 hp gives me extra in reserve to feel comfortable. I have been sailing since I was 6 and have never spent a long time under power at any one time, just not my style. I would rather dink up a river or somewhere else if it is called for. I do want some reserve power for when it is called for, and feel it is a requirement.

I have no desire to motor across the atlantic. I do have a desire to have the juice available to use that a electric could create, and am strating to feel that a electric inboard and a transom mounted outboard is the way to go.

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook