SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Spliced mast - original or repair?

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 · (Edited)
I viewed a Wauquiez 33 recently and observed it had a splice in the mast:

I don't recall ever seeing a boat like that with a splice in the spar, so I am wondering if this is the way that the Wauquiez 33 was built, or if this was perhaps a repair or a modification.

So, my questions are:
  • Is this original construction or a repair/alteration?
  • Whether original or altered, does this compromise the strength of the spar?
  • What other advantages/disadvantages are there to this construction?

#3 ·
I honestly don't know a thing about spliced spars, but it did look as if the spreaders are not angled upward properly. Could be the angle of the photo, but flat or downward spreaders are an indication of rig problems and/or an improperly rigged boat. Did you notice the angle of the spreaders?

#6 ·
It hard to say but that looks like a repair rather than original. It would be very unusual to see a mast made that way for a boat this size.

BTW: Forum Rules prohibit posting the same post in two locations. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Respectfully,

Jeff

#8 ·
You'd need to check for that boat. Sometimes the problem is the original location of the factory, or the boat when a replacement mast has to be shipped. Over-the-road trucking had 40-45' length limits and anything longer went oversize at steep cost penalties, so sometimes spars "had" to be shipped in two pieces and spliced.

If the mast is not bendy, and the splice is done properly, in theory it is perfectly good. if the PO or the broker claims they do not know whether this is original--they're either inept or shamming. That's the kind of thing a boat owner and seller really SHOULD know, it they have any grasp about mechanical things on their boat. (You know, like changing the oil, charging the batteries, pumping the bilge.<G>)

#9 ·
Such a splice was not uncommon 25 years ago.. our mast has the same, as have others I've seen.

That's not to say it couldn't have been a repair, but it's possible it was original.

#13 ·
The splice is likely original, as many older masts that would be over 40' were built in two sections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.