SailNet Community - View Single Post - Renaming a Boat
Thread: Renaming a Boat
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2001

bodland is on a distinguished road
Renaming a Boat

We renamed a newly purchased used boat this past memorial day weekend.

I saved the boat from certain death by slow decay and thus it was reborn and needed a new name. It got a new name on her before she went into the water. That was important. Not fancy paint just simple black vinyl letters would do for now.

I wrote a short cerimonial speech that my ten year old daughter read. Basically asking permission from the Gods of the sea to accept our new name, keep us and our passengers safe and we offered a sacrifice of beer (The bounty of Wisconsin...Linenkugels) and toasted with Champagne, splashing the hull.

"Raido"* (Rye Doh) is now very happy. Last weekend dancing in the waters of Lake Michigan in a fresh breeze under the blue sky with cruising spinnaker set, a ten year old on the bow, cat below deck and crew in the cockpit...I know Raido was happy, I heard it burble and felt it leap with pleasure!

I know the gods were pleased as well as they parted the clouds and gave us a fair and beautiful day to sail on Memorial day after two days of rain and storms (We sailed anyway)

I would not, however, rename a boat I had already named out of vanity. That I feel would displease the Gods....unless it was completly re-fit or brought back to life after a long period of neglect. Then you better ASK for forgiveness as well.....

* RAIDO - A runic symbol that represents a journey or adventure across land or sea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook