SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dream or Nightmare?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009

ystanley is on a distinguished road
Dream or Nightmare?

My husband and I bought a Catalina 30 recently after he fell in love with sailing. We had a 26' day sailer that we sold to purchase this and I have to admit I like the Catalina much better. We have been talking about living aboard and cruising up and down the east coast for a few years. He is completly enthrawled by this and I am a little aprehensive. We have been together 20 years and throughout that time we have always been raising children. (I had a 2 yr old when we met) We have always said when the kids were grown it would be "our time". Our children are now 22, 18 and 16 and we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. We just purchased a home in 2005 and are living the American Dream. We work ourselves to death to pay the mortage and the car payments (equal in $amount). We both work full time and are so tied to the material things in life it isn't funny, but I still struggle with leaving all this behind. I have always thought I would end up with a large family, kids and grandkids coming over for large family gatherings, yatta, yatta. Well, somehow things didn't turn out the way I had always thought they would. My son (22) only calls when he needs something from us and our daughters have no interest in staying in the town we are in after college. They will go where their careers and families take them. Without rambling on and on which I have already done. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that has worked out these same worries and actually did it!!!! I have read some of the posts that my husband has directed me to and see that people actually do do this. Any tips on how to give up the material things in life??????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook