SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Trip Line 101, Please
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Question Anchor Trip Line 101, Please

AS an inexperienced sailor, I read to gain knowledge. I have read in many places about using a trip line on the anchor to help free the anchor shold it become stuck. I am seeing this described two ways: One, as a line attached to the anchor with a float on the other end, the line being of a length which is slightly more than the depth of the anchor. Two, a line the length of the rode attached to the anchor and run back to the boat. Often the second option speaks of the trip line being attached to the rode. Never having used either option, I have questions about both.

When attached to a float, how do I keep from running over the line while I'm moving over the anchor while hauling it aboard? Seems to me to be a fouled prop waiting to happen.

As a line attached to the rode... Why? If it is so attached, would not any pull on the trip line be equivilent to a pull on the rode? If it is a paralell but seperate line, how do I stowe both it and the rode while I pulling up the anchor so as not to get the two lines hopelessly tangled? And if I pull up one line at a time, how do I keep the second line out of the prop?

BTW: 30' production coastal cruiser, Chesapeake Bay, Bruce style anchor, mostly doublehanded.

Thank you in advance for any information that you can give me.