SailNet Community - View Single Post - alternator and battery recommendations
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009

justonemoreproject is on a distinguished road
alternator and battery recommendations

Hi,
After rebuilding my alternator it still was not charging my batteries. At full throttle it only put out 12.26 volts. I hired a tech to come on board because I thought I had a wiring problem. He used an amp meter to determine that my alternator was only was putting our .5 amps! The reason being that I have a low RPM diesel that cannot not spin the alternator fast enough.

My motor is a 30 year old 7 HP Petter Diesel paired with a 28 amp Lucas ACR15 alternator with internal regulator. Only 600 hours on it so its hardly broken in. My batteries are also getting to the end of their life. There are 3, 85 amp hour gel cells that have relied on my solar charger for charging, now the solar power can't keep them up. One was discharged down to 10 volts when I checked it yesterday.

The tech suggested that I get a high output at low RPM alternator of around 50 to 70 amps and some new batteries. Balmar alternators are very expensive. Can anyone suggest a good less expensive one?

My energy budget is modest. Just instruments, and occaisionally laptop, cabin lights and stereo, but I want to do more distant coastal and offshore cruising and racing and therefore need a reliable power supply.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks - Larry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook