SailNet Community - View Single Post - Personal Hygiene
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Ours is a rather backward relationship. Cyn takes 10 minutes from alarm clock to out-the-door. She maintains wash-and-wear hair, no fancy makeup or nails, no purse. She carries eyeglasses, a small wallet, change purse, and cell phone, mostly in pockets, sometimes a small canvas bag. Eye liner and lipstick (one of each) on Friday night let's-have-martinis-out night. That's it.

I, on the other hand, can fret for 20 minutes over a wrinkled collar. My folded t-shirts make Felix Unger's look like dirty laundry. Fortunately, God took my hair, so I no longer have to worry about that! So I have been teaching myself, with Cyn's help, to let go, one by one, of all sorts of self imposed rules and rituals. The hardest part is recognizing that my angst is self imposed, and recognizing WHY I do this to myself. Usually the answer to 'why' is 'because this thing gives me some form of comfort that I have not yet found within my being'. My fist step of letting go is to find that comfort within myself. That Cyn is kind and patient, and helps me to see my self-imposed angst in a gentle and loving manner, is a blessing for which I am ever grateful. I can say that I cannot imagine doing this without an understanding, cooperative partner.