SailNet Community - View Single Post - Danger Will Robinson - Danger!
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009
Baybilly

Spiritman is on a distinguished road
Danger Will Robinson - Danger!

This subject may have been tackled before, but I haven’t seen it in this forum.

Early February, central Chesapeake, 62 degrees – we’re goin’ sailing!

I disconnect the shore power cord (first at the dock) then coil it up as I move around to the connection port in the cockpit. I loosen the black ring – as I’ve done hundreds of times before – yet the cord seems to be glued in place. After giving it a good tug, it separates to reveal this: (see images below)

All of the AC wiring, and the breaker panel on the boat are less than five years old, and the power was still flowing – no breakers had been tripped.

I took the cord to the local WM and showed it to a seemingly knowledgeable fellow who was certain that moisture-induced arcing was the culprit. He said it was not an uncommon phenomenon. All it takes is a little moisture to work its way between pin and socket and POW. Sometimes it could burn your boat up. He said it doesn’t necessarily damage any of the boat’s internal wiring (but strongly suggested inspecting everything thoroughly – which I did). He also said that this could happen regardless of the amount of load on the line. In fact, this could occur without ANY load at all.

I’ve since replaced the socket and the power cord, just to be safe.

Can anyone add or refute any of this? Also, does anyone have any tips for preventing it?

Thanks,

G.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cord.jpg (38.4 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg Rec.jpg (40.3 KB, 280 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook