SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cooper 416 vs Discovery 42
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Augustur

The Discoverys were offered as "Kit boats" but I believe some were delivered fully built as well. (owner finished is not necessarily bad... depends on the craftmanship) The Coopers were never offered that way and would be factory finished.

I think there is a one-off somewhere around here of the 416 hull with a different deck/house plan that more closely ressembles the Discovery 42 - perhaps that's where some of the confusion arises.

I doubt you'll find a more voluminous boat than the Cooper 416 in its size/type range and it has much to recommend it in our soggy climate.

Another related boat, if you're not stuck on 40ish feet, is the North Sea 34, a very similar looking boat to the Discovery in a smaller package.. Sailnetter jrd22 used to own one before moving up to his Brewer 42, and I believe he has good things to say about it.

Nauticats are pretty nice, but I don't think they are the roomiest around, and come at a price (but with the quality to go with it)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook