SailNet Community - View Single Post - Canadian Discharge laws
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Canadian Discharge laws

I just read a post elsewhere regarding the waste rules for boats visiting Canada. Here is what the website, Visitor Information - Office of Boating Safety - Design, Equipment & Boating Safety - Marine Safety - Marine Transportation - Transport Canada , says:

Sewage Restrictions

Help Keep Our Waterways Clean
There are restrictions against pumping sewage into all waters with the province of Ontario and some interior lakes of British Columbia and Manitoba. In these areas, a pleasure craft fitted with a toilet must also be fitted with a holding tank and if fitted with a piping system that allows the discharge of sewage directly overboard, then this discharge must be visibly disconnected. Sewage may only be discharged at shore pump-out facilities.
Portable Toilets
Portable toilets are illegal on Ontario waters.
The owner of a pleasure craft shall ensure that each toilet and the holding tank(s) is/are installed so that;
  • The toilet and equipment are connected in such a manner that the equipment receives all toilet waste from the toilet.
  • Equipment designed for the storage of human excrement is provided with a deck fitting and such connecting piping as is necessary for the removal of toilet waste by shore-based pumping equipment.
  • No means of removal of toilet waste is provided other than the means mentioned above.
  • All parts of the system for removal of toilet waste are congruent with one another and the boat.
Sounds like composting toilets, like an Airhead, are illegal.

Also, sounds like a locked Y-valve is no longer acceptable. You need to pull the hose from the thru-hull?

Looks like I'll be keeping my tourist dollars in the US this summer. I'm not fighting with the head hoses and risk having to replace them. What do coastal cruisers in Canada who have a lectrasan or who want to go offshore three miles do?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook