SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lake Michigan - Grand Haven to Chicago
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Lake Michigan - Grand Haven to Chicago

I'm looking for some input from the Sailnet community on southern Lake Michigan ports and a possible cruise I'm planning.

We have a 25' centerboard sloop based out of Grand Haven and are thinking of sailing to Chicago sometime this coming summer. However, my wife and I are both somewhat unfamiliar with any of Lake Michigan's ports south of South Haven.

Here are our specifc wants:
a) We'd like to keep daily trips under 30 miles because we have small children aboard. I know a lot of it depends on weather, boat speed, etc. But generally speaking we typically can put 20-30 miles under our keel in a day.

b) We'd prefer to stay within sight of the coast rather than make a 40+ mile crossing of southern L. Michigan.

Here are my questions:
1) Is a roundtrip cruise from Grand Haven to Chicago feasible in our 25 footer given a time window of 10-14 days and the above constraints?

2) Are there any decent ports for an overnight between New Buffalo and Chicago?

3) Any tips for staying a couple of days in the Chicago area? Marinas? Moorings? Etc.?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook