SailNet Community - View Single Post - ST60 Multi NMEA Interface
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004

dave8976 is on a distinguished road
ST60 Multi NMEA Interface

Thank you for your replies. My ST60 Multi is connected via Seatalk to an autohelm, depth, speed and wind. The ST Mulit acting as a repeater is able to diplay information from the other units. Also when it is connected to the GPS chartplotter via its NMEA Input port it displays the various GPS data such as time, Lat, Log, etc. But the ST60 Multi NMEA does not provide any NMEA data output even when I have double check all of the ST60 Multi software settings. As it turns out the NMEA output port does not conform to the electrical interface standards as expected by an NMEA output port. The NMEA interface box from Raymarine is required in order to provide the proper electrical signal. The Raymarine Interface box is connected via Seatalk and provided NMEA Input, Output as well as an PC interface RS232. When I purchased the ST60 Multi I thought I could use it asa repeater plus as a Seatalk to NMEA converter. The last part only applies if you are interested in sending NMEA data from the GPS to the ST60 Multi for the Autohelm and not the other way. My GPS chart plotter is able to record and display data from the other instruments such as depth, speed, wind and temp. Thus I was interested in connecting the ST60 Multi to the GPS for that reason. Thus a NMEA interface box is required if a person plans on connecting their Raymarine instruments to another vendor product. I installed the interface this weekend and now all of the instruments are exchanging information as they are designed to do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook