SailNet Community - View Single Post - Adding a TV Antenna
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009

capcass is on a distinguished road
Adding a TV Antenna

Hi fellow 9.2C Owner,

I purchased a 1981 9.2C this past December in Oyster Bay, New York. I have a great deal of experience refitting and sailing coastal cruisers and have learned to ask knowledgeable owners before attempting anything unorthodox. I am considering placing a TV antenna on top of the mast and find that, not only is there insufficient room in the existing mast conduit, but the through deck fitting is also too tight to accommodate another wire. It appears that there is a messenger line at the base of the compression post, but I cannot locate it at the deck in the mast step. I would prefer not to disrupt the existing wiring, so I am considering drilling a new hole in the mast step through the s/s plate and deck inside the compression post forward of the conduit for the existing wiring. I am concerned about waterproofing this hole, as I am well aware of the dangers of water intrusion into the core, especially in this high load area. To avoid having to snake the wire down the compression post and out he small hole at the base which is already crowded with wires, I thought I may drill a small hole at the top of the post at the ceiling and run the wire through a teak channel to the forward bulkhead and over to the TV mounted on the port side of the bulkhead. What do you think of this approach? Can you suggest any easy alternative? Do you think this may cause any structural problems? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Capt Gary Cassidy, USCG Master
capcass@optonline.net
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook