SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dream or Nightmare?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
This may be too much information but all that stuff you fear letting go of is the same stuff that is probably keeping you from your other day dream of a large family. A couple of years of cruising will teach how much of a burden and a distraction all the junk really is. I'm not just talking about the material stuff, the same can be said for a lot of mental junk that gets in the way of life as well.

After learning to sit and enjoy simple things, day after day. Learning how to make a conversation about the weather last three days. You'll start to find that it's really fun to be free, to be able to just enjoy whats around you and who is around you without needing this bit of stuff or them sharing this thought about that. Once you've let go of all the things that are eating up your life, you'll find you have plenty of time to go hang out with your kids. You won't feel like your missing something from home the whole time. You won't feel the need to push your ideas on them and will just enjoy being there.

And this really does take years. Right now it's hard to even think past having 20 different knifes in your kitchen or 14 different dresses that are pretty much the same. Again, right now thinking that someone will see you wearing the same dress 2 times this week probably bothers you. Going more then two days without a shower even though it's not hot and you wash your hands and face regularly would send shivers down your spine. But these are all mental constructs rather then real issues.

You can cook a lot better meals when instead of 20 knifes, you have half a day to wander through the local farmers market picking the nicest fruit and veggies. What's the point of buying yet another dress if it means throwing out one you really like because you don't have any more room. On the shower thing, it won't take long before you know the difference between needing a shower, just needing to freshen up, and ain't no point because I'm going to be covered in salt again, in twenty minutes anyway, besides we aren't going any where with it this stormy.

Not to paint a scary picture, I really enjoyed my time outside of normalacy, and continue to benefit from the lessons learned. It takes a while but after you settle in your going to meet some of the best people you'll ever know, learn to be happy with a lot less, and quit being scared over trivial things.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook