SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom Paint Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
Last Fall, I sanded the bottom of my boat down to gelcoat, faired it and barrier coated it with West Systems epoxy. I sanded it with 80 grit, scrubbed it with a green scrub pad and soapy water, rinsed, and wiped dry with a cloth.

Using the West Marine equivalent to Interlux Fiberglass Bottomkote, I applied 2 coats of bottom paint according to the instructions. The boat has not been back in the water, but it has gotten wet from rain. For the last couple months, it has been under a carport with only the bow sticking out.

A few days ago, I noticed some flaking of the paint in the low places where the water will run before it drips off. I've never had this problem in the past when painting over existing paint, touching up, with this type paint nor with ablative.

Did I miss something in the prep? Should I have used a marine primer before applying the bottom paint? Was the paint a 'bad batch?'

Can anyone offer insights for me? At the moment, I plan to sail the boat as is until more of the paint flakes off, and then just start over.

Sincerely,

Pat
s/v Stargazer