SailNet Community - View Single Post - Irwin 34 1982
Thread: Irwin 34 1982
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009

surfnrg is on a distinguished road
Irwin 1982

Just saw your post and thought to comment. Five of so years ago I purchased a 1984 34 ft Irwin Citation that was a neglected boat. In sum, I fixed her all up, starting with the five gallon bucket of bleach water and scrubbed her down (bye, bye moldy eye brow) and she instantly came out of her "diamond in the ruff" look and shined like a gem. Over the next few months I changed thru hulls, fixed blisters, polished the fuel, fixed leaky ports, changed filters, redid upholstrey, added auto pilot, etc. to bring her up to par for cruising the Bahamas. I went from the slowest "cruising" boats in the marina (31 ft Bombay Clipper) to one of the fastest (the 34 Irwin). She sailed so nice and had a quite modern looking interior. The only reason why I sold her was that I ran across a nice cruising catamaran that I fell in love with her so I sold the Irwin. The owners of the Irwin have taken her over to the Bahamas five times over the past 3 years without a problem (beside running his fuel tank dry which I'd say is human error - sorry Mark!) but otherwise the boat has been a very reliable and awesome looking boat. Check all the chain plates, fix any blisters (Irwins were notorious for that year range) and like any used boat be prepared to do some work. The new owners of the Irwin redid the entire sole and added cabinets (he did that type of work for Hinkley in Stuart, FL), added davits and I'd have to say it's the nicest looking Irwin 34 around. On the other hand, how do you like your O'Day 30 and what year is it? Since I just sold my catamaran I'm starting to think about picking up a 30 - 34 monohull to hold me over till my next cat. I looked at an O'Day 302 yesterday and it was a bit to neglected for me since this time around I'm more into buying a boat that isn't requiring ALOT of work to get into shape.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook