SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nauta fuel bladder for "holding tank"?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Nauta fuel bladder for "holding tank"?

I haven't had the need to use the head on my Newport 28 yet, but I was looking over the setup and stuck my camera down in there to get a picture of the bladder, and apparently it's a fuel bladder. Does this make much of a difference? Ever since I tested the head by pumping some plain water through it I've noticed a musty smell back that way, though nothing is leaking. I figure I rehydrated whatever had been sitting in there (the PO had never used it either in two years, he said) and fired up the bacteria. It's not horrible, though.

The lines look pretty old, and for the life of me I can't find a vent hose connected to the bladder. It's hooked up with a line from the head to the bladder, and line from the bladder to a Y-valve. The lines from the Y-valve go to a pump-out fitting and to the through-hull, which does have the anti-siphon valve on it. However, it looks like the vent line is attached to the anti-siphon valve, and the Y-valve was left open to the through-hull, though the hand pump was left in in the closed position.

This looks like a pretty horrible environmental violation, so I switched the Y-valve back to the pump-out side. I don't know what to do about venting the bladder properly, which is one question I have.

My other question is that the pump-out fitting is right under the cushions in the v-berth. There is no external connection. Doesn't this seem a bit yucky to have the pump-out line go right into one's bedroom to get rid of the nasty stuff?

My final other question is how does the pumping-out work? Does a line snug up to the pump-out fitting under the cushions and just suction out the stuff?

Sorry for all the questions in one post, but spring is on the way and I want to get those systems ready for the sailing system. Last year was the engine and electrical, this year the plumbing.

Thanks for all your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holding_bladder.jpg (29.6 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook