SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dream or Nightmare?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ystanley View Post
It wouldn't let me post the link....
One more post (10) and it will.

I did want to address the kids aspect of all this. Your kids don't visit? I'm thinking you might want to look back and review how life was when you were in your twenties. If you were much like me, visiting mom and pop wasn't the most scintillating of items on my social schedule! Now when they have kids, they'll be calling. (g) This is actually a good time to go, before you start wanting to be there for those grandkid's arrivals.

As to "things", a boat will make you look at your kitchen anew. How many specialized appliances do you have that can be eliminated and their functions filled by a pot and a fry pan? (I once lived for six months with only an electric skillet for cooking. Boil the coffee water in it first, then fry the bacon!)

Another factor is that a lot of people launch into these things when their physical prowess is already well on the wane. There is a certain amount of physical activity that will be less than tolerant of age's advancing infirmities. In a perfect world we all cruise for a few years when we're twenty and then spend the rest of our life talking about it. In the real world, we wait until the comforts of home make the enjoyment of the cruising less. Don't get that old.