SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat registration in NJ
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009

pkats is on a distinguished road
Boat registration in NJ

Hi, I purchased a boat from a broker in LI, NY. Original owner had this boat since new and had it documented with Coast Guard. Since I don't have any reason to Document the boat I decided to drop documentation. My broker provided me the following papers in order to register it in NJ: original deletion letter from Coast Guard, copy of the Bill of sale from previous owner which has been scanned at the coast guard and broker's original bill of sale to me. But after I brought all of the above documents to DMV they refused to register the boat, requesting the original title to my name or original Certification of Documentation. Since the boat was documented since new, there was no title issued. And since I choose not to document the boat I only have deletion letter from CG. My broker tells me that they sold a lot of boat without any problems, but they were registered in NY. Is it something specific to NJ? What choices do I have, except documenting the boat (now that documentation was deleted, it will cost me mush more $$$)? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook