SailNet Community - View Single Post - Venture 17 restoration
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFernandes View Post
excellent stuff- thanks for that link... that's pretty much all the stuff i was going to post.

joe, looking again at your pictures- what year is your boat? no bow rail or life lines/stancheons?- is that a mod that you did or is that stock for that year?

also, i'm looking at going with an electric troller too- where did you locate your batteries?

thanks
My boat is a '72. I took the bow pulpit off cause it made it where I couldn't get the boat in my garage. I didn't really need it anyway and it looks cleaner without it (imho). I am pretty sure that lifeline stanchions were optional. Mine has never had them. I think they would be in the way too on a boat this small. With toe rails added my feet won't slip off and I can hold on to the fore stay or shrouds and move around the deck safely.
I have a 4hp Mercury and a 70lb thrust trolling motor. I prefer the troll if I don't expect to need it much that day. If I want to be out longer, I feel safer having the gas motor. Never know when a battery might decide to give up.
They both push the boat fine. It's easier with the trolling motor, lighter and instant power when you want it, and it's totally quiet.
I mounted the battery right in the cabin floor inside the companion way. I use an Optima marine battery for my sailboat and kayak, so I don't have to worry about acid spills.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook