SailNet Community - View Single Post - Logging Hours
Thread: Logging Hours
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009

STTnBama is on a distinguished road
I have a CG Captain's license and am only 21 years old so I had to document time that I had going back to the limit, which I believe is still 16 years old. The lot of that time was done on my dad's boat and only requires his signature and the information about the boat so hopefully the person has that information on file if they no longer own the boat. If most of your time was on your own boat, then it requires the information and your signature. Yes, someone could theoretically make up time but that's just the way it is. You can download the forms from the coast guard website and begin to record your time. You'll find when you sit down and start thinking back it's not too difficult to remember your time in the past. Keep in mind however that where this time was spent can also determine what kind of license you qualify for (Inland vs Coastal vs Offshore). Also keep in mind that you don't have to be the master of the vessel, just being onboard is all you need and it could be on anything that would be defined as a "boat".

EDIT: If you decide to try and get your license. Go with as much as you can get, it will pay off in the long run and you can go ahead and get all the classwork out of the way at once. I.E Go ahead and get your masters, sail endorsement, towing endorsement etc.

Last edited by STTnBama; 02-22-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook