SailNet Community - View Single Post - A/B switch for removing shut from battery circuit
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009
Rhumbunctious

patrickstickler is on a distinguished road
A/B switch for removing shunt from battery circuit

I've been looking for a particular kind of switch but without success, and am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a battery monitor for my house bank (2 x 110AH AGMs) which has a shunt rated at max 100A. This is in addition to a 55AH flooded starter battery.

I'd like to install a switching solution that will allow me to use the house bank for starting in the case the starter battery goes flat, but my engine draws just under 400A so with the shunt installed in the house battery ground lead, I need a way to bypass the shunt.

I've been trying to find a simple A/B switch (not A/B/Both/Off) switch that I could put in the house bank ground lead to take the shunt out of the circuit, and another A/B switch to connect the engine positive lead to either the starter battery or house bank, but all I can find are either On/Off switches or A/B/Both/Off switches.

My dream switch would be a single switch that would allow me to choose either starter battery to engine + shunt in circuit, or then house bank to engine + shunt out of circuit, with a single throw of the switch between either option ;-)

I've seen some switches with the correct functionality, but for AC shorepower installations, and doubt they'd handle 400+A DC.

Any suggestions?

-
Cruising the Baltic in 'Merihiisi', a 1979 Westerly Berwick Ketch

Last edited by patrickstickler; 02-23-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook